Budget: Review of Service Dashboards and Service Change Impact Assessments (SCIAS)
- Meeting of Housing & Health Advisory Committee, Tuesday, 22nd September, 2015 7.00 pm (Item 15.)
- View the background to item 15.
The Chief Finance Officer advised that the report before the Committee was the second stage of the budget process and would be presented to all Advisory Committees. The first stage had been the ‘Financial Prospects and Budget Strategy’ report which had been reported to Cabinet on 17 September 2015. The purpose of this report was to ensure that all Members of the Advisory Committees had a role to play in the governance of the Council and the budget decision making process and to make suggestions to Cabinet on growth and savings ideas for the services within their terms of reference.
The main message was that this should be a significant step towards the Council becoming financially self-sufficient. The 10-year budget at Appendix F to the report, included no Revenue Support Grant (RSG) from 2016/17 and no New Homes Bonus (NHB) from 2019/20. In practice it was likely that some funding would still be received from these sources in the near future but the amounts were unknown. The Financial Prospects report had recommended that any amounts that were received were placed into the Financial Plan Reserve which could be used to support the 10-year budget by funding invest to save initiatives and support for the Property Investment Strategy. Using the funding for these purposes would result in additional year on year income that was not impacted by Government decisions.
Members had agreed the last 10-year budget in February and the changes that had been made since then included:
- Rolling the 10-year budget on for one year and updating base figures.
- Removing reliance on RSG
- Reducing the Council Tax increase assumption to 2% for all years
- Reducing fees and charges inflation to 2.5% for all years
- Reducing pay award inflation to 1% for 4 years
- Including income from PIS for the first time of £500k from 16/17, £700k from 18/19, £800k from 23/24
- Savings of £500k in 16/17 and then £100k pa for all future years
The current list of growth and savings proposals was £52,000 short of the £500,000 target (if all of the proposals were accepted), and Members were therefore being asked for further suggestions for growth and savings ideas. He further reminded Members that that £5.3m had been saved from 2011/12 to 2016/17 (113 items) and there had been over £10m of savings since 2005/06.
Members reviewed Appendix D which contained the growth and savings proposals put forward by the Portfolio Holders and Chief Officers, and the Service Change Impact Assessments (SCIAs) in Appendix E. Members also considered and gave individual answers to the following five questions:
a) What services should the Council invest more in?
b)What services should the Council disinvest from?
c) What services work well?
d)What services don’t work well?
e) What issues would you like Cabinet to take into account?
The Chief Finance Officer summarised the views put forward and Members considered whether there was anything they wanted taken forward as potential growth or savings suggestions.
Public Sector Equality Duty
Members noted that consideration had been given to impacts under the Public Sector Equality Duty.
a) the savings proposals identified in Appendix D to the report applicable to the Advisory Committee( SCIA16 – Housing Register, SCIA17 – Disabled Facility Grants, SCIA18 – Private Sector Lettings Scheme), be recommended to Cabinet;
b) no further suggestions for growth and savings be recommended to Cabinet.
- 07 HHAC - Budget 2016-17 Review of Service Dashboards & SCIAs, item 15. PDF 52 KB
- 07 HHAC - Budget - App A - Service Dashboard (A3 for printing), item 15. PDF 216 KB
- 07 HHAC - Budget - App B - 201516 Budget by service, item 15. PDF 21 KB
- 07 ALL ACs - Budget - App C - Old growth savings, item 15. PDF 17 KB
- 07 ALL ACs - Budget - App D - New growth savings, item 15. PDF 26 KB
- 07 HHAC - Budget - App E - SCIAs, item 15. PDF 36 KB
- 07 ALL ACs - Budget - App F - 10 year budget, item 15. PDF 23 KB
- 07 ALL ACs - Budget - App G - Budget timetable, item 15. PDF 28 KB