22/00140/HOUSE - 11 Ridge Way, Edenbridge, Kent TN8 6AU
Two-storey rear extension with roof lights. Conversion of garage to habitable room, part two storey front extension. Alterations to fenestration.
The proposal sought planning permission for a two-storey rear extension with roof lights. Conversion of garage to habitable room, part two storey front extension. Alterations to fenestration.
The application had been referred to the Committee by Councillor McGregor for the following planning reasons:
1. The bulk, scale and massing of the rear extensions would be harmful and detrimental to the character of the existing building.
2. Overbearing and overshadowing of neighbouring properties.
Members’ attention was brought to the main agenda papers and late observation sheet which did not amend the recommendation.
The Committee was addressed by the following speakers:
Against the Application:
For the Application:
Members asked questions of clarification from the speakers and officer.
Officers confirmed that the proposal was not in breach of the local character assessment. It was also confirmed that sunlight was not blocked to habitable rooms by the proposal and further shade to external rear amenity areas was not considered a material loss of light for refusal and did not contravene the residential extensions guidelines.
The Chairman moved from the Chair that the recommendations within the report, be agreed.
Potential flooding was discussed by Members. It was confirmed that the surface water drainage problems in the area would be managed by various bodies including Building Control and Kent Highways.
The motion was put to the vote and it was
Resolved: That planning permission be granted subject to the following conditions:
1) The development hereby permitted shall be begun before the expiration of three years from the date of this permission.
In pursuance of section 91 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
2) All new windows proposed at first floor level, to the east and west-facing side elevations of the dwelling, shall be glazed with obscure glass of no less than obscurity level 3 and permanently fixed shut, unless the parts of the window/s which can be opened are more than 1.7 metres above the floor of the room in which the window is installed and shall thereafter be permanently retained as such.
To safeguard the privacy of neighbours of the development, in accordance with Policy EN2 of the Sevenoaks Allocations and Development Management Plan.
3) The materials to be used in the construction of the development shall be those indicated on the approved plan Application Form dated 17 January 2022.
To ensure that the appearance of the development is in harmony with the existing character of the Ridge Way Character area as supported by Policy EN1 of the Sevenoaks Allocations and Development Management Plan.
4) The development hereby permitted shall be carried out in accordance with the following approved plans and details: 21075SM-PPSG-05 Site Location Plan, 21075SM-PPSG-06 Block Plan, 21075SM-PPSG-03-PP-A1 Proposed Floor Plans and 21075SM-PPSG-04-PE-A1 Proposed Elevations.
For the avoidance of doubt and in the interests of proper planning.
The meeting was adjourned for a brief comfort break for the convenience of Members and Officers at 8:25pm. The meeting reconvened at 8:33pm.