Budget 2020/21: Service Dashboards and Service Change Impact Assessments (SCIAs)
- Meeting of Development & Conservation Advisory Committee, Tuesday, 15th October, 2019 7.00 pm (Item 18.)
The Chief Officer Finance & Trading presented a report which explained that this was the second stage of the budget process and ensured that all Members of the Advisory Committees had a role to play in the governance of the Council and the budget decision making process. He explained that since the current financial strategy was introduced in 2011/12, over £7 million of savings had been agreed.
To continue to have a balanced budget position and remain financially self-sufficient, a net savings requirement of £93,000 for 2020/21 was included in the budget. The Chief Officer Finance & Trading also advised Members that other pressures may come out later in the budget process such as when the Local Government Finance Settlement was announced in December. These may result in additional savings being required.
No growth item and one savings proposal was included in the report for this Committee and Members were asked for their suggestions, in order to achieve the £93,000 net saving required for the next year, which would be considered by Cabinet, before finalising the budget for 2020/21.
Members gave their individual ideas for growth and savings items and considered whether there was anything they wanted taken forward as potential growth or savings suggestions. A number of growth and savings items were suggested and discussed, including exploring marketing opportunities on the website to promote the District Council’s Building Control services.
It was noted that the performance of the services had improved since the publishing of the report. The performance indicators were currently 7 green and 1 amber, as opposed to 4 green, 2 amber and 2 red as recorded in Appendix A.
Before discussing potential growth and savings items, the Senior Planning Enforcement Officer removed himself from the room since there was a suggestion of making his role permanent.
Public Sector Equality Duty
Members noted that consideration had been given to impacts under the Public Sector Equality Duty.
Resolved: That it be recommended to Cabinet that
a) The savings proposal (SCIA03) identified in Appendix D to the report be considered; and
b) the following options be put forward to Cabinet
Growth (increased expenditure or reduced income)
• Urban Design Officer – extend contract
• Review Enforcement resources to maintain recent improvements to the service
- 06 Service Dashboards and SCIAS, item 18. PDF 68 KB
- 06 App A Budget - DCAC - Service Dashboard, item 18. PDF 49 KB
- 06 App B - budget by service, item 18. PDF 36 KB
- 06 App C - Old growth savings, item 18. PDF 39 KB
- 06 App D - New growth savings, item 18. PDF 40 KB
- 06 App E - SCIAs, item 18. PDF 38 KB
- 06 App F - Adv Ctte Previous Suggestions, item 18. PDF 24 KB
- 06 App G - 10 year budget, item 18. PDF 50 KB
- 06 App H - Budget Timetable, item 18. PDF 37 KB