18/02012/FUL - Land West Of 34 Witches Lane, Riverhead, Kent TN13 2AX
Erection of a new dwelling to west of existing house. Reconfiguration of existing garage.
The proposal sought planning permission for the erection of a new dwelling to west of existing house and reconfiguration of existing garage.
The application has been referred to Development Control Committee by Councillor London due to the proposal resulting in overcrowding, that there is insufficient parking, that the road cannot sustain more traffic and that the proposal could impact detrimentally upon bats.
Members’ attention was brought to the main agenda papers and the late observations papers.
The Committee was addressed by the following speakers:
Against the Application: Anna Burns
For the Application: Matthew Hopkins
Parish Representatives: -
Local Member: Councillor London
Members asked questions of clarification from Officers. Officers confirmed the proposed dwelling had been moved out of the tree protection zone of the beech tree subject to a Tree Preservation Order. Officers advised Members that the width of the road was sufficient for lorries, refuse freighters or emergency service vehicles.
It was moved by the Chairman and duly seconded that the recommendation within the agenda papers to grant planning permission be agreed.
Members discussed the application and expressed sympathy with the neighbours and the Local Member. It was noted that there had been similar previous applications on Witches Lane. Members discussed the impact on the character of the area, the possible impact on the street scene and traffic in the vicinity of the school.
The motion was put to the vote and it was
Resolved: That planning permission be granted subject to the following conditions:
1) The development hereby permitted shall be begun before the expiration of three years from the date of this permission.
In pursuance of section 91 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
2) The materials to be used in the construction of the development shall be those indicated on the application form.
To ensure that the appearance of the development is in harmony with the existing character of the area as supported by Policy EN1 of the Sevenoaks Allocations and Development Management Plan.
3) Prior to occupation of the dwelling provision and maintenance of a 2.0 metre x 2.0 metre pedestrian visibility splay behind the footway on both sides of the access with no obstructions over 0.6m above footway level will be provided and maintained thereafter.
To ensure adequate visibility splays are provided and maintained as supported by policy EN1 of the ADMP.
4) The tree protection strategies as set out within Arboricultural Report dated 19th May 2018 shall be implemented in full. The protection measures shall be retained in position at all times until the completion of the development, and the land so enclosed shall be kept clear of all contractors’ materials and machinery. The existing soil levels around the boles of the trees shall not be altered.
To prevent damage to the trees during the construction period as supported by Policy EN1 of the Sevenoaks District Councils Allocation and Development Management Plan.
5) No development shall be carried out above the damp proof course of the hereby approved dwelling until full details of both hard and soft landscaping shall be submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. These details shall cover as appropriate: - Proposed finished levels or contours; - Hard surfacing materials; - Planting plans;- Written specification (including cultivation and other operations associated with plant and grass establishment);- Schedules of plants (including plants that benefit foraging bats), noting species, planting sizes and proposed numbers/densities where appropriate.- Implementation timetables. The close boarded fences shown on PL11J shall be erected prior to occupation of the new dwelling.
To safeguard the visual appearance of the area and to protect the amenities of neighbouring properties as supported by Policy EN1 and EN2 of the Sevenoaks District Local Plan.
6) Prior to occupation of the dwelling, details for the provision of facilities for the safe charging of electric vehicles and an implementation timetable for the installation of the unit shall be submitted to and approved in writing by the local planning authority. The facilities shall be installed in accordance with the details so approved and be retained, maintained thereafter and be available for use at all times.
In order to mitigate and adapt to climate change in accordance with policies EN1 and T3 of the Sevenoaks Allocations and Development Management Plan.
7) The rooflight and ground floor window on the northern elevation shall be obscure glazed to level 3 and non-opening at all times unless the windows are more than 1.7m above the floor level of the room in which the windows are located and shall be retained and maintained thereafter.
In order to safeguard the residential amenities of 32 Witches Lane as supported by the NPPF and policies EN2 of the Allocations and Development Management Plan.
8) The bat boxes as indicated on the proposed site plan PL11J shall be installed prior to the occupation of the dwellinghouse.
To protect biodiversity as supported by Policy SP11 of Sevenoaks District Councils Core Strategy.
9) Prior to the occupation, details of any external lighting shall be submitted to and approved in writing by the local planning authority. Lighting shall be installed in accordance with the approved plans. The local planning authority is satisfied that these details are fundamental to the acceptability of the scheme and that without these details the proposal should not be permitted. The external lighting will meet the requirements of Guidance Note 08/18 Bat Conservation Trust, Bats and artificial lighting in the UK.
To conserve local character and protect neighbouring amenity in accordance with EN1 and EN2 of the Sevenoaks Allocations and Development Management Plan.
10) The development hereby permitted shall be carried out in accordance with the following approved plans and details: PL11J, PL12J, PL13D, PL14A, tpp-01
For the avoidance of doubt and in the interests of proper planning.